Monday, October 13, 2014

Overdue Update

Ciao tutti!

I'm sorry I haven't written in forever, I've just been taking all this time to process everything and think and just experience life. So, first of all I just want to say I was brought to tears by the response to my last post. I had people I didn't even know messaging me giving me support and kind words, and everyone was so sweet, it really warmed my heart <3 So thank you all so much :) Secondly, yes I am feeling better. I don't wake up on the verge of tears feeling I have to leave right this instant. However, I still don't believe that a year is the right choice for me. As of now, my plan is to switch to a trimester program, which means I will leave in the beginning of december, just before the holidays and the second semester of American high school, which seems like a nice breaking point for me. I am not going to go into a lot more detail about this, because frankly I am kind of tired of explaining myself and I trust that if someone is interested they can talk to me personally so I don't bore all of you with the dramatic details ;) So anyways, time to play catch up!

October 3rd was my 16th birthday, and it was really amazing!! I woke up at 6:30 as normal for school (of course this year my birthday was on a Friday, but I have school the next day -.- Stupid Italian school schedules) and I was in the bathroom getting ready for about 15 minutes before I went back to my room to check my phone, and I saw I had multiple missed calls from my family back home. I immediately called them back, but then my mom told me that she will call me because she uses a service so it doesn't cost a million dollars for long distance phone calls haha. But of course, right as she called me my host mom and host sister came in with a box, so I told her I would call her back. Then, I realized the box was from my parents and told them to call me once again (pretty confusing). Inside was my mom's iPhone (mine is broken) along with a case with a girl on an elephant looking at the world (I love elephants),  a beautiful silver ring with a very muted pink heart, some fuzzy aloe socks (I am in love with them), some stuffed animals from my sister, and a letter. I had to try really hard not to cry, and it was so sweet of them to send me those things and wait until I woke up to call me. Then, I went to a bar with my host sister instead of having breakfast at home since I love pastries, and I got this big fluffy bread filled with Nutella. Once I was at school, my class surprised me with yet another pastry on my desk with a candle and a note in it. They sang me happy birthday and I blew out my candle, and it was very sweet. School was normal, and afterwards my entire class took me out for a pizza. We were about 20 people, and we went to this restaurant and it was delicious! We ordered three "meter pizzas" (giant, rectangle sheets of pizza) and split them, and afterwards they gave me a cake that one of the girl's mom made, which was absolutely heavenly. I was so stuffed haha. Then, they all gave me a card and an $80 gift card to Mondo Bio (this vegan/health food shop two doors down from my house, I go there literally every day after school. Sadly, I am not exaggerating) which was so sweet of them. But it didn't end there! In the evening, my friend asked me if I wanted to go out to Syrenuse, our favorite bar, so I agreed. We were there until around 9, when it was time to head home. My friend said she had to give my host sister a book, so she would drop me off. When we got into the apartment, I found that my friends and host family had thrown me a surprise party! It was so sweet and thoughtful of them to do that, and it was really fun :) We ate and hung out until 11, and then I went to bed. It was an unforgettable birthday :) Then, the next day after school I went with my host sister and mother into Naples and we did some serious shopping, and in the night I went clubbing with some friends and my host sister! It was a great time and I really enjoyed it.

Other than that, nothing really special has happened. I started Italian lessons every Tuesday and Thursday, and school is still really boring. But this weekend I have the mid-October orientation camp which will be really fun! I am going to Castellamare di Stabia from Friday-Monday, and I am so excited to see all my AFS friends again :) I will keep you guys updated on how that goes!!

A dopo <3

-- Tami

No comments:

Post a Comment