Friday, October 24, 2014

AFS Camp

Ciao!

I am currently sitting in my room eating a banana, wearing an oversized sweater, and sipping on some tea. Life is good. The weather is getting colder outside and I am really excited about it, which is strange, because in the USA I live for summer. So here's what's been going on lately!

Last weekend I had my mid-October AFS orientation camp and….oh my god. It was so much fun. I'll break it down like I normally do, day by day.

Friday: I got there at noon, we spent the afternoon just chilling and doing activities, catching up with one another and making new friends! In the night we had an activity where the girls had to dress as guys and the guys as girls, and we got pretty into it (makeup for the boys and fake beards for the girls) and we did a runway show. It was hilarious

Saturday: In the morning we went to Sorrento (where I live) and I had the embarrassing responsibility of being our tour guide, which of course resulted in me getting lost and having to turn around to face around 30 students and 5 volunteers and tell them I was lost…..I wanted to melt into the ground haha. But it was still fun! I showed them the famous gelato place, and then when we broke up into smaller groups I ended up finding the place I was trying to find before, but only a few of my friends got to see it. In the afternoon we did more activities, and they were actually kind of helpful. In the night, we all hung out outside and then about a dozen of us went into one of the rooms that was pretty big, and we all talked and hung out and listened to music, it was a lot of fun, even though we didn't get to sleep until like 2. 

Sunday: Activities all day, and then in the night we had to plan a talent show. This was probably my favorite activity, because it helped me learn so much about other cultures. My really good friend (Hinerapa) is from New Zealand, and she showed us her talent which was poi. It was probably one of the most fascinating things I have ever seen and I fell in love with it instantly (even though I couldn't figure out how to do it). I also hung out with all the Latin Americans (and a girl from Spain!) and it was really nice, because they remind me of all my family from Mexico so it felt very comfortable and familiar. They taught me how to do bachata (a style of dancing) and we all got up and started dancing and it was amazing, now all I listen to is bachata music and I am determined to master it :) I loved watching all the kids' talents, and usually we all ended up joining in and trying to learn, wether it was the Flamenco or a special dance from Thailand, we would all try and copy the presenter and it usually had disastrous but amusing results. A guy from China sang a song in Chinese, and it was funny, because even though I didn't understand the words I felt like I understood the song, and it sounded like it could have been in English or Spanish, which to me helped me realize that no matter where we're from we are all ultimately the same. I had so many ideas of how certain people from certain countries would be, and I have since then discovered that it is not true at all, I have a friend who is the cutest, tiniest little Japanese girl, but when you watch her dance I swear she turns into Britney Spears. Afterwards, I hung out with some of the other exchange students and I didn't go to bed until around 3 am. So yeah I was exhausted by this point.

Monday: In the morning we just hung out and did some more activities, mostly games (We played suck and blow. Hilarity ensued. We also played a game where you hold an apple between your chin and your neck and have to pass it around the circle without using your hands, and it was so so so funny to watch people struggle. At a certain point, we all randomly started passing around Kanako, the cute little Japanese girl. One person just randomly picked her up and then passed her down, and we made a few rounds around the circle for no particular reason….only exchange students haha), I ended up spending an hour talking about Maoori culture with my friend Hinerapa, and I just find it so fascinating. Then we all had to say goodbye and go our own ways, which was really sad since I know I won't get to see some of them who are only here for a trimester ever again.

So, here are some of the things I've learned this past weekend:

- If I'm ever feeling homesick, I just need to spend some time around latinos and I will instantly feel 10000 times better.
- It doesn't matter what country someone comes from, if they are an exchange student I can almost 100% guarantee that they will be funny, outgoing, friendly, and crazy. Not to mention they will be full of surprises
- Everyone is going through the same stuff, and the best thing you can do is just share your struggles and laugh at the awkwardness of it all.
- Sleep is overrated (Okay just kidding I really need sleep, but when you have only a few days with such an amazing group of people sleep gets knocked down to the bottom of your priority list)
- Poi and bachata are life
- If you have problems, talk about them. Chances are you will come out feeling like a giant weight has been lifted.
- New Zealand is a really amazing country and I am definitely moving there at some point in my life

It was overall really fun, and I feel a lot more positive about everything! Other things that happened this week:

- Tuesday after Italian lessons I went with Hinerapa (New Zealand) and Nabila (Indonesia) for pizza and ice cream, which was really fun and delicious! Since all the other exchange students in my chapter live in Castellammare and I'm in Sorrento I haven't really hung out with them, but now I have decided to do it a lot more because it's so nice to be able to spend time with people who understand you

- Wednesday I went into Napoli for my residence papers, and when we got there at 9:45 they were on number 18. We were number 132. Thanks to my host mom's persistence we managed to get in at number 46, and we were out of there by 11:30 (they were only up to number 61, if you were wondering).

Tomorrow I'm going to another school to talk about Intercultura in the morning (I've only gone to school 3 days this week. Not complaining ;) ) and then heading to Calabria with my host family in the afternoon! It's a 5 hour drive there, which will be interesting… But it should be beautiful and then we will head back Sunday afternoon! I'll keep you guys updated :) 

P.S. I am so so pumped for Halloween next weekend <3

A dopo! Xoxo

-- Tami

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Great information! Would you please consider sharing my link to your readers? Please email me back at haileyxhailey gmail.com.

    Thanks!
    Hailey

    ReplyDelete